Wednesday 28 September 2011

"What I like most of all in London is the fog"
My main focus for this poem was the fog, This would be the eye catcher as i wanted to create a grey to white gradient to represent fog. As this poem is quite recent I wanted to keep this contemporary without focusing on history of thames. I believe that more contemporary design is attracted more than dated (my opinion), If i walked past a engraved slab it wouldn't particularly attract me whereas something fresh and new would appeal to me. I chose to keep the poem simple as the idea was the header to attract you in then you appreciate the poem, but now looking back and also hearing feedback from the crit made me think differently. This design would suit better for a poem published in a book however in large scale in such a big area it needs to stand out. During the crit i thought of creating the whole poem in this effect, fitting the text within a box grid using different scale of type, and maybe variety of typefaces to highlight key words. Which I got inspired by the post Modernism exhibition Paula Scher's " The best of jazz" which i have referenced in a previous post. I have chosen knockout again as It references the structure of london city itself, I could of used a more subtle type to represent fog as wavy and soft however I don't think this would be the right representation to show. I wanted to focus on the key words London and fog and tie them together. Also as knockout is think fixed width type it works well with the gradient whereas a thinner type wouldn't show up too well, but then seeing as it's in large scale I will have experiment with this.






Interim Crit (Feedback)

  • Again thinner hair line
  • Change Poet's name to darker shade of grey rather than black as it stands out too much making the design unbalanced
  • fonts used work well together (knockout and ...)
  • Should poem be moved up as this will be near the floor, will people read the whole poem? Also with header is it too high?
  • Where is this going to be situated?
  • Aligned to the right is hard to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment