Wednesday 28 September 2011

"Watching the river.." finalising

Developing from my initial idea which for me wasn't working I think it was making the poem look older than what it actually was and may mislead people. So I chose to keep it simple and spacious but modernise it by using a bulkier font, I chose Bebas Neue which is another tall fixed width font, I know I have used this kind of type a lot recently but in my research I found it almost everywhere in any context and it's kind of a new found love, I think I have managed to stylise them to fit different themes and styles. For example in this poem "Watching the river" I have managed to soften the type slightly by adding a blue gradient from dark to light to represent the Thames. I have used a grid in Photoshop to lay out my poem precisely I used an 8X8 grid. I kept the leading wide again seeing as it is quite a bold type I thought that this would make it more spacious and calming rather than something that is screaming out at you. I chose to have the header in the same typeface as the eye catching element is the concrete poetry aspect and the colouring so I didn't want the header to take that away from it, so I used the same, enlarged it slightly my a few points and filled with a darker shade of colour so that it stood out and was clear enough to state that this was the header and title of the poem but did not distract from the poem. I added the poet's name underneath in a slightly lower point size to define the poem from the poet I think it works well and fulfills it's purpose.


  To the left is my final design for this poem out of the three this is my favourite I was against concrete poetry at the start thinking it was a bit too cheesy and obvious but because of the type chosen and the colouring used it's subtle, I'm really happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment