Wednesday 28 September 2011

Type Trends/Inspiration





Carphone Warehouse P.O.S

I went into carphone warehouse to upgrade my phone and noticed these captions all round the store in this large bold type, I figured that this only grabbed my attention as I noticed this style a lot around shops and advertisements and have been looking into type. I like the use of different scales of type some words grab your attention and other non important words are smaller. I think I have mentioned this before but it feels to me that someone is speaking out to me, the quirky composition creates a tone of voice and just screams 'buy me! I'm great.' I have noticed this tall broad type and other similar fonts used in fashion shops, online and now carphone warehouse and see it as a trend at the moment. I have noticed between these two images that the bottom images leading is tighter than above, the top example has more room to breath and shows a clear path of how to read whereas the other example is more tight and a bit cramped although it is still affective when compar   ed together the top example looks much better due to the space. (also maybe more variety of sizes?


Highlighted Type


Another trend I have noticed is the highlighted type, to be honest i'm not a great trend but it is still good to explore whats you there at the moment when it comes to design and type. I remembered from the website project a website called. www.saedmeshki.com who uses this style for their main menu, i personally think it looks tacky well especially in this context, maybe it's the yellow and does look too much like a highlighter pen just run across the text. Although this did remind me of Barbara Kruger's work in the 1980's, she known for her black and white photos with overlaid red captions or quotes, following the same kind of highlighted style. Although with Kruger's work I believe she used found images, but added her text and phrases which were mostly feminine issues, I think the idea of using red is quite a strong colour neither feminine or masculine being the idea to make the feminine quotes seems more powerful and taken seriously, quite a strong quote and image.













No comments:

Post a Comment