Wednesday 28 September 2011

Pattern poetry : Guide to an unknown literature.

During research I came across a book on google called Pattern poetry by Dick Higgins, who has studied the history of pattern poetry and proved that there was early forms of pattern poetry. To the left is a pattern poem by 'Joesph Beaumont' (1616-99) in the 17th century called Suspirium Ad Amoren, a love poem although it was not published until 1914. The original version is on the far left and on the right is the printed version from 1914. It is said that weaving of the lines could refer to the two loves breathing, I can't see this myself. My connotation of this would be communicating with each other hence the lines going back and forwards, its quite a loose wave which could relate to the tone of the voices whereas if the waves were tight and sharp I would connate this to an argument or some negative content. I also thought that the length of poem could could relate to length of their love? Or the tone of the voice the poet wanted the poem to be read in. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment