Wednesday 28 September 2011

Poem Choices

After researching poems about the Thames or even boats or docks I came across this at first.

A Riverain Rhyme                                                   The Thames Passport

Beside the river in the rain-                                     The Thames - a well known line upon a map,
The sopping sky is leaden grey -                             Becomes well loved beneath the skilful pen,
I watch the drops run down the pane !                 Of these two young explorers. Bravely when
                                                                                   In winter, guiding far their little boat
Assuming the Tapleyan vein -                                Of sudden, mid the ice, fair lilies float,
I sit and drone a dismal lay -                                  And every town becomes, a magic place -
Beside the river the rain !                                       Coloured with English charm and English grace;
                                                                                  ( ... 'to be there' - then )
With pluvial patter for refrain;
I've smoked the very blackest clay;                         Is this not, after all, our wishful wish
I watch the drops run down the pane.                   To be well-known, but more than this -
                                                                                   To be well-loved, by those we love so well
I've gazed upon big fishes slain,                              That neither time nor space can break he spell
That on the walls make brave display,                   Of years and all - gone by,
Beside the river in the rain.                                     And that we smile but never cry ...
                                                                                   ( is this not port-of-call? )
It will not clear, 'this very plain,
The rain will last throughout the day - 
I watch the drops run down the pane.

I almost feel my boundless brain
At last shows signs of giving way;
Beside the river in the rain.

O. never will i stop again -
No more will i attempt to stay,
Beside the river in the rain,
To watch the drops run down the pane !

Although this does not reference the Thames I interpretation of London is bleak, dull and wet usually with grey skies so this to me summed up driving past the Thames on a wet busy day. However I am going to look into other poems to see what other options are out there.
I instantly think of wavy text, grey bleak colors but then this is too easy and most likely already be done.
Whereas on 'The Thames Passport' is a poem about love based around thames, although in this poem I only really like the first verse, using a nice descriptions about the boat and the surroundings. Again I noticed that it speaks about cold weather which is what I relate to when I think of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment