Wednesday 28 September 2011

Developed Quote




Developed my Initial idea on the quote/short poem. I took in the comments from the crit and developed my idea to this. My first change was the type chosen, I think there was too much going on personally so i kept it down to Elegantlight and Knockout. The idea was still to separate the comparison by typeface to emphasise the contrast between them. I have chosen to use a more subtle blue as the other was too bright and clear whereas the thames is quite murky. I also wanted to use more of the space provided seeing as this is going to be in quite a large scale I wanted to use it well. This idea needs tweaking but I like the theme. Terror has been in hollowed as the expression says 'Without terror great' which interpreted as without these negative words the Thames is great, So by hollowing the type it subtly connotes without terror as the fill is gone. I've kept the positive words light in white which I may change to a pale blue to express the purity and positivity in the wording whereas in the negative words I have used a darker shade of the background colour to relate to the words and emphasise the contrast.
My main concern with this design is that the positive words have been joined with the linking words which in a way I think shadows them, it is not as clear in the initial idea, so I will play around with the composition to see if I can define the two, maybe use bold and/or italics instead of a different typeface.
Although on screen and in such a small scale the 'Elegantlight' wording seems as if the readability would be poor, however If this would be my final idea I would print a section in full scale to see if this would be a problem. Also am considering change the type used as the contrast is too strong therefore over shadowing the other type making it unclear, a thicker san serif but with similar style may benefit this design.



Developing on from earlier, to the left I have added hair lines to frame the text, as the shape is box like it made sense to finish it off with these lines. To the right I have thought more about how I'd like the poem to be read, the flow of words yet still defining the contrast in the comparisons. I think in the previous designs for example 'Serene yet strong' the yet becomes part of the serene comparison making the contrast not as strong. So to the right I have considered this and have changed position of them i have placed them vertically, so that it's still on that line but is seperated. I have also hollowed these out to make the separation stronger. I like the idea of this but I don't think the overall composition works, I will use the hollowed text effect in a different composition to see if it would work, or tighten this design so that the type is closer together. I've also added the owner of the quote using the same type, I placed it higher up so that when read you wont have to bend down or struggle to read this as it will 
situated near the floor.
Another competition of the 'yet' which I think works it differently separates itself from serene, however still unsure whether i like it vertically I may try placing it horizontally in a smaller point size may do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment