Wednesday 28 September 2011

"What I like most about london..." developed


Moving on from using the same style text for the poem I created a little snapshot, I think it emphasise that element of fog and calm, I'm going to use really wide leading, and slightly wider kerning to create that spacious feel, easy to breath. In this design there is a lot of space and thats due to the composition and colouring, so continuing this would make this design more as a whole rather than two different elements. I haven't even considered kerning and leading at the moment this is just a mock up of what a roughly want the outcome to be. I definitely am going to use this idea, however considering scale of the piece and location i will have much tighter leading, so that the poem does not drop to the bottom and align to the left or right. Below i used a grid to get precise leading, I haven't created this in InDesign so in photoshop I inserted a grid for this i used a 6x6 how I don't think it's quite wide enough for the effect I want so may use a 7x7 or even a 8x8 to make this wider, although I will have to be careful and consider how low I want this to go? This was also aligned to the left which I don't think has the same effect as to the right, but as said in the interim crit it was hard to read however this was only said by one person? so may ask around again to see which people prefer considering readability. I have used an 8x8 grid to the right, which is more on the lines of how i wanted the kerning to be whilst leaving a nice space at the bottom. I've chosen for the poem Petitalight for the type, I wanted a contrast in the title and poem, both being legible. I wanted to pic a fairly contemporary san serif type, for those two reasons it's contemporary and two it's easy to read. I'm going to experiment with other fonts similar to this, and maybe uppercase.

No comments:

Post a Comment