Wednesday 28 September 2011

Marion Deuchars

My own image
Tim introduced me to Marion Deuchars who i have seen her work before in the Tate Modern museum without really noticing. Her typography is featured on a large space showing an art timeline. Below is an image i took last year of the type but at the time i did not know whose design it was and now i can put a name to it. Her style is quite childlike, almost a controlled mess. Deuchars uses quite tall, thin upper case lettering and then combines it with a quite freehand calligraphic type. I was discussing with Tim that "If i   created my own hand rendered type it would not look as professional as this does." But then Tim made me realise that she probably tried this a lot of times to get the letters looking exactly how she wanted. Her type is made to look as if it has just been done quickly but in reality she knows exactly what she wanted and took her time finding it.
www.mariondeuchars.com


No comments:

Post a Comment